Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Refrigerator is a LEMON



The Maytag Wide by Side was the new big thing in the year 2000. It was supposed to be a step up from the regular side-by-side.
It was wide at the top of the refrigerator and narrow at the bottom. The freezer was opposite. The ads gushed that the owner could now put wide things like pizza in the refrigerator.

I bought it hook, line and sinker. We purchased one in January of 2001. Since then, it has been fixed at least twice a year. First it was the ice maker. Then it was other things going wrong. Last month I got a recall notice that a part may overheat and cause a fire. At first when it was still under warranty, I wasn't too upset. I wasn't paying for it. After the warranty ran out, I wasn't very happy.

So, it is broken again. Everything in my freezer is now ruined. The refrigerator part is not cold enough. The switch that dispenses the ice and water is broken too. Actually, that is a pretty funny story. One night I was awakened by the sound of ice hitting the floor. I sped into the kitchen and found ice shooting out of the ice dispenser and landing on the kitchen floor. It reminded me of an old LUCY rerun. Things like that were always happening to her. I "speedy quick" (a Junie B. Jones expression) hit the button to stop the ice and it hasn't worked since.

Yesterday the repairman came and replaced the part from the recall. He didn't have the part to fix the other things. Something is wrong with the defroster dohickey.

I AM REALLY, REALLY SICK OF THIS SORRY EXCUSE FOR A REFRIGERATOR. By the way, you can't even buy this refrigerator anymore. Maytag took it off the market! (Big sigh) Oh, another thing, the people at Spencer's told me not to buy it. I have learned a lesson from all this. Listen to the people at Spencer's and never, ever buy anything when it first comes out. Thanks for listening, I feel better now.

2 comments:

  1. That happened to us in Wyoming when I convinced Rich we needed a gas range in the kitchen. The burners wouldn't work, the oven was unreliable and it was just lousy. The repairmen were pricy, too. I was so glad when we moved and left to oven behind!

    ReplyDelete