Sunday, March 22, 2009

What I Did on My Spring Break

This spring break I decided I wanted to accomplish something besides my usual sitting around reading a book, which I really like to do, but sounds really boring when people ask, "What did you do on your spring break?" So here goes. . .

Monday: I decided I really needed to clean my house because when I am working, it really isn't my first priority. The laundry room seemed to be a good place to start since I can't ever find anything. Here's what I found during cleaning: 2 flashlights that didn't work, six bottles of bathroom cleaner (I keep buying more because I can't ever find any.), two pair of Sam's old shoes, which were about half the size his feet are now (size 12!), and some rope which must have been made during a cub scout day camp. Then I decided to move along to my bedroom. I am a pile maker. Going through those piles was like going to an archeological dig. I figured that since I hadn't ever needed the stuff at the bottom of the pile that I could safely throw it away. I was going to clean the kitchen cabinets, but by that time, I had had enough of cleaning.

Tuesday: I made it to the cannery by 8:30 a.m. to do some dry pack canning with our stake. Having never been there before, I didn't know what I was supposed to do. I ended up at the table that was canning cocoa mix. I love the smell of chocolate in the morning. It turned out that we had to can 298 cans which was about twice as much as everything else (beans, wheat, etc.) So after everyone else was done, we were still working, for quite a while. According to my friend Lori, I should have followed my other friend Laura, because she knows where the fast canning tables are. So, note to self--follow Laura.

After that adventure, Sam and I headed off to Costco to get some strawberries to make jam. Except things like that always take longer than one thinks and Tuesday was St. Patrick's day and I was fixing corned beef and cabbage for the family. Also, my visiting teachers came. I totally forgot they were coming. Now I have some yummy strawberry jam in my freezer, but it took forever to clean up.

Wednesday: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat was playing at the Mesa Arts Center. I bought tickets so Sam and I could go. We both really enjoyed it. The brothers were hilarious. Although I was disappointed that Donny Osmond wasn't playing Joseph.;) We got a really great parking place too, because somebody left just as we were coming down the street behind the arts center. Sam wanted to go to Olive Garden to have dinner, so we did.

Thursday: Both Sam and I wanted to see RACE TO WITCH MOUNTAIN. It was a very pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Dwayne Johnson (formerly The Rock) starred. I think I like The Rock better than Dwayne, but whatever. He was pretty fun to watch. After the movie, we decided to find the Scout Shop (We were at Mesa Riverview.) to buy Sam a scout book. I mean he has only been a scout for a year, it was about time to get him a book. Yes, I'm a slacker mom sometimes. We purchased the scout book. Then we hit Sam's and I's favorite pizza place--Red Brick Pizza. It's right by the Cinemark, so if you are ever in the neighborhood, you should check it out. Gary stayed home to work on tax returns, so we were nice and brought him pizza too.

Friday: April doesn't have to work on Fridays, so she, Sam, and I went to have breakfast at Crackers and Company. Yummy. Afterwards, April and I went shopping at the Rustic Hutch. Sam didn't want to shop. He thinks it is boring.

About a month ago, I bought a pressure cooker. I have been wanting to try it out. I bought some hamburger and beans at Sprouts. I cooked the hamburger and put it in the jars. Then I put the jars in the pressure cooker, fearing that I would do something wrong and something bad would happen. Like, maybe I would blow something up, even though Shar, the lady who I bought the pressure cooker from explained that it would definitely NOT blow up. Well, everything worked according to plan, so we will see how the finished product tastes.

Saturday: I thought I would have a peaceful day reading my book, finally. However, I had agreed to feed the missionaries, which I thought met I just had to take dinner to them at the Temple Visitor's Center. They called and it turned out they understood they were coming to our house. So I had to speedy quick get the kitchen cleaned up. Sam and April came to dinner also. That way, I didn't have to worry about any lulls in the conversation. Sam and Jacob were around also, but roast pork, sweet potatoes and apples didn't appeal to their picky appetites. I also had to finish preparing my Sunday School lesson. I haven't taught for three weeks because of ward conference and stake conference, so I was having a hard time getting inspired to sit down and finish planning it. Thankfully, the Lord always helps me know what to say as long as I have done my part in preparing.

So today I taught my Sunday School lesson about Emma Smith and Section 25 of the Doctrine and Covenants. I admire Emma for all she had to endure. I don't completely understand why she didn't come west. I can guess some of the reasons she didn't. Since I don't know everything, I am in no position to judge her actions. I appreciate the chance I have to study church history and the Doctrine and Covenants this year.

Tomorrow it's back to school for Sam and I and when people ask what I did, I will have something to tell them. Plus, I am pretty proud of myself for getting some projects done instead of wasting my time.

3 comments:

  1. That is very impressive, Carol! you were very productive and sounds like you had lots of fun!! and how great that you got to go out with April!! she is such a wonderful girl!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheesh! I thought we were busy. Sounds like you had a GREAT break.

    Our book club is meeting this Tuesday at 8pm at my house... we would love to see you there.
    We will be discussing Armor by Kim Clark.

    Have fun your first day back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Carol, sounds busy. Your dinner for the missionaries sounded awesome! DAvid is wearing a size 11 shoe. How did these boys get such big feet????

    ReplyDelete