Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

HBO has made a TV series out of one of my favorite mystery series--THE NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY by Alexander McCall Smith. Somewhat surprisingly to me, it is really good. Most of the time I like the books much better than any TV show or movie made from them. The image in my mind is always better than the people who make the movie (i.e. TWILIGHT, ERAGON, and INKHEART, to name a few.)

In the case of the LADIES' stories, all the characters are there pretty much as I imagined them--Precious Ramotswe (a woman of traditional build), Mr. J. B. L. Matekoni (the owner of Speedy Motors), and Grace Makutsi (who got a 97 percent on her tests at the Botswana Secretarial College). Best of all, it is filmed in Botswana where the books take place. The Botswana setting is one of the elements that make the books so wonderful.

So join Precious Ramotswe as she drives her tiny white van on all her adventures. And sit down with her for a cup of bush tea. You won't regret it. HBO, Sundays at 8 p.m. Or, record it to watch later. That's what I do.

2 comments:

  1. And now you can watch it in Hi Def!! Speaking of which, when are you going to get your new computer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich bought me the first book in the series on your recommendation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete