Monday, March 16, 2009

Spring Break Memories




Spring Break is here again and I have been waxing a little nostalgic.

In March of 1991, Stephen, Chris, April and I headed to Utah. As you can see, it snowed so they got to build a snowman. Grandma helped. She was always ready to have fun with the grandkids, whether it was building a snowman or sleeping outside with them in the tent during the summer. You will notice the assortment of cold weather gear worn by the kids. These were things we dug up in the basement so they wouldn't freeze. As I recall, someone hit April with a snowball and she was not too happy. We had a great time, but I wonder if we knew what a great memory we were making. My mom and dad have both passed away and the house belongs to someone else, but the precious memory is still with me.

Three years ago, my brother Phil died during spring break. He was almost 40 years old. But when I think of Phil, I think of the teenager with the big earphones rocking out (literally, he loved to rock in the chair and listen). After we moved to Arizona and Phil got married, I didn't see him very much. Sometimes we would all be together for family parties, but not very much. I regret that I didn't know Phil very well as an adult. I don't think he had a very happy life, and for that I am very sad. It seems strange to me that we grow up in the same house, in the same family and sometimes we don't connect very much after we become adults. One thing that I am grateful for is that my mom was there to meet him when he passed to the spirit world. I'm sure she and my dad are taking very good care of him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting those pictures. I especially love the snowman pics. As I recall I took those, because I was home for spring break from USU.

    ReplyDelete